Local Government Jobs In Canterbury, Whitstable And Herne Bay
We feature Canterbury City Council Jobs on this page. Most vacancies are likely to be in the Military Road offices, Canterbury. However vacancies may occur in other location both in the city as well as Herne Bay and Whitstable. Prevailing economic conditions mean that local authority opportunities are relatively limited at the moment. Job Vacancies for Canterbury, Dover and Thanet local authorities are all administered by a central recruitment team in Dover. All vacancies for the three authorities and can be viewed on one web page. Details and advice about Canterbury City Council jobs below. If you’ve recently worked for this authority or had experience of their recruitment process and want to share your thoughts get in touch, our contact details are at the foot of the page.
Canterbury City Council Jobs
The Cathedral is still a dominant features in the city today, as it has been for hundreds of years. But unless you have some recent knowledge of the area you might be surprised to see how varied the district is. The council has an area of responsibility that encompasses the coastal towns of Herne Bay and Whitstable as well as several villages including; Blean, Bridge, Chartham, Fordwich (technically a town), Harbledown, Herne, Littlebourne, Sturry and Thanington Without. The population of the district is now over 150,000, however just under a third of these live in Canterbury. If you’re thinking about working for this authority you might like to know:
it has been awarded Investor in People status in 2001 (renewed in 2003, 2005 and 2008). Computing Magazine awarded the City Council, IT Department of the Year in 2007. Canterbury is the local authority the highest rates of recycling in Kent. Employees at the council enjoy flexible and innovative work patterns. The council employs around 850 people.
Canterbury City Council Jobs
We feature those current vacancies that were published on the recruitment website at the time of our last visit, details correct at the time of writing, visit the website for the latest information
- Box Office Supervisor (Revenue Administration) – Canterbury Marlowe – £19,959 to £21,058 with potential to progress to £22,157.
- Front-End Web Designer – Canterbury City Council – £30,167 to £32,128 with potential to progress to £34,089.
- Apprentice Customer Advisor – EK Services – £3.50 per hour.
- Housing Standards Officer (Empty Homes) – Canterbury City Council – £30,167 to £32,128 with potential to progress to £34,089.
- Housing Improvement Officer – Thanet District Council -Starting Salary £29,896 per annum, with opportunity for progression to £34,080.
- Principal Lawyer -Thanet District Council -Starting Salary £40,841 per annum, with opportunity for progression to £46,560.
- Housing Solutions Officer – Canterbury City Council -£26,511 to £28,102 with potential to progress to £29,694.
- Single Person’s Homeless Officer – Canterbury City Council – £26,511 to £28,102 with potential to progress to £29,694.
- Business Support Officer X 2 – Canterbury City Council – £21,850 with potential to progress to £24,324.
- Compliance Inspector X 2 – East Kent Housing – £33k per annum
- Head of Asset Management – Thanet District Council – Starting Salary £67,600 per annum, with opportunity for progression to £77,065.
- Contracts Surveyor – East Kent Housing – £33k per annum.
The City Council published a people strategy, in their own words
“Our mission is to provide a working environment which enables us to recruit and retain a capable and talented workforce – a workforce which is committed to delivering excellent services to the community of Canterbury district – so that we become recognised as: the outstanding employer in our community and; an excellent council in the local government community”
The Benefits Of Working For Canterbury City Council
The published benefits of working for Canterbury City Council (details correct at time of writing) included a percentage of final salary (dependant on service) . The basic minimum annual leave allowance is 21 days a year and rises through to a maximum of 35 days. Relocation packages (including a mortgage subsidy) may be available in certain conditions. All staff however have access to the ‘well being’ programme as well as a childcare voucher programme. The Military Road site has significant amounts of free onsite parking. Canterbury City Council has a staff social club and is part of the cycle to work scheme that allows members to save up to 40% off the cost of a new cycle and equipment.
For a fuller profile of the district and jobs in the area visit the Canterbury page.
Job vacancies for Canterbury, Dover, Shepway and Thanet local authorities are all now administered by:
- East Kent Human Partnership
Dover District Council
White Cliffs Business Park
- 01304 872799 – 9:00am – 5:00pm
Canterbury City Council Jobs – Feedback & Disclaimer
We hope you find this resource relevant and up to date. If you have some feedback about working for the Canterbury City Council or experience of their recruitment process you are welcome to let us know. Please see our disclaimer.