Environment Agency Jobs And Careers
Environment Agency jobs and career advice on this page. This link for the main recruitment page for jobs in Kent. We welcome comments and feedback from any of our users with recent experience of working for the agency. EA is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs. It has responsibility for maintaining and improving the natural environment and taking measures to protect communities against flooding in England and Wales. The work is absolutely essential to the current and future quality of life of every individual in the UK and further afield. Pollution, radioactivity, flooding, fishing, land and water quality are all subject areas that overlap into the work of the organisation. The Agency has a workforce of around 10,600 that sit within eight directorates reporting to a Chief Executive. The organisation has a total budget of over £1b, the funding comes from both central government and a range of fee raising services.
Where Can You Work?
All of the tasks undertaken by the organisation can be broken down into eight separate departments overseen and coordinated by a Chief Executive’s Office, we’ve summerised the main functions of each directorate below as a general guide to job seekers (for more precise details visit the Environment Agency website):
- Chief Executive – Environment strategy, planning, media relation.
- Operations – A national network responsible for flood protection across the country on a micro to a macro level. This work encompasses managing the Thames Barrier and keeping local streams unblocked with everything in between. It’s present in all of England and Wales and it’s the part of the agency that will respond when flooding strikes.
- Evidence – Research, data modelling and the appliance of science to the work of the agency.
- Finance – All the financial management necessary to run a billion pound budget and meet all legal and statutory requirements including procurement and pensions.
- FCRM – The flood and coastal risk management team take responsibility for long term strategy and the investment in flood defence. They are involved in modelling and the analysis of trends and patterns connected to flooding related issues. The FCRM also run flooding incident coordination.
- Environment And Business – Have a wide range of responsibilities connected to the relationship between individuals, businesses and the environment. Working with regulated and non-regulated businesses and other stakeholders. Taking a lead in issues such as climate change and the quality of land and water.
- Resources – The beating heart of the organisation, it includes HR, IT and other functions that enable the Environment Agency to successfully meet the goals set out in the corporate plan.
- Legal Service – It might surprise you to know that this department has over 100 people working within it. the ‘shock troops’ working in litigation, permits, enforcement and prosecution. Other members of the legal team supporting other units in the organisations and working towards strategic medium and long term goals.
Environment Agency Roles And Recruitment
The Environment Agency recruitment pages has a wealth of information for job seekers including some examples of job profiles to give prospective employees an idea of what the agency has to offer in roles as diverse as; Project Support Officer, HR Business Partner, Environment Officer, Procurement Officer, Permitting Officer, Support Analyst, Hydrologist, Incident Communication Advisor, Coastal Engineer, Service Assurance Supplier Manager, Customer Service Advisor, Civil Engineer, Flood Risk Mapping, Finance Business Partner, Planner and Business Relationship Manager. These are just a sample of operational roles within the organisation.
Current Environment Agency Jobs
To give you an idea of where to start this is a selection of vacancies published on the EA website (at the time of writing):
- Environmental Crime Officers – 25,001 – 30,000 Farnham , Wallingford
- Mechanical, Electrical and Control Engineer, Engineers (Meica) – 30,001 – 40,000 Canterbury , Chichester , Farnham , London , Maidstone , Oxford , Reading , Romsey , Rye , Sevenoaks , Sunbury-on-Thames , Wallingford , Welwyn Garden City , West Malling , Worthing , Pevensey
- Personal Assistant – 20,001 – 25,000 Exeter
- Assistant Scientist (Instrumentation) – 15,001 – 20,000 Reading
- Biodiversity Technical Officer – 6784 6784 Environment & Sustainability 25,001 – 30,000 London
- Asset Performance Team Member – Thames Barrier – 20,001 – 25,000 London
- Flood & Coastal Risk Management Officer – 25,001 – 30,000 Romsey
- Apprentice Legal Assistant – 15,001 – 20,000 Bristol
- Electrical / Mechanical (Asset Performance) Technical Officer – 25,001 – 30,000 Farnham , Guildford , Reading , Shepperton , Sunbury-on-Thames
- Customers and Engagement Officer – 20,001 – 25,000 West Malling
- Permitting Officer 1 – Environment & Sustainability 25,001 – 30,000 Solihull
- Groundwater and Contaminated Land Technical Officer – 25,001 – 30,000 West Malling
- Flood Risk Technical Advisor – 30,001 – 40,000 Welwyn Garden City
- Technical Officer (Hydrology) – 25,001 – 30,000 Kidderminster , Shrewsbury , Solihull , Stafford , Tewkesbury , Fradley
Benefits Of Employment
The core benefits of jobs at the Environment Agency included (at the time of writing):
- An attractive final salary pension scheme
- Holiday entitlement starts at five weeks and rises to a maximum of six weeks a year.
- A valuable maternity and adoption leave programme
- Occupational health and ophthalmic services
- Season tickets bicycles and safety equipment loans
- Some offices are able to offer free work place parking
The Environment Agency Head Office is at:
- Horizon House, Deanery Road, Bristol, BS1 5AH
Offices in The South East are at:
- South East Regional Office, Kings Meadow House, Kings Meadow Road, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 8DQ
- West Thames Area Office, West Area Office, Howbery Park, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 8BD
- Solent and South Downs Area Office, Guildbourne House, Chatsworth Road, Worthing, Sussex, BN11 1LD
- North East Thames Area Office, Apollo Court, 2 Bishops Square Business Park, St Albans Road West, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9EX
- Kent South London Office, Orchard House, Endeavour Park, London Road, Addington, West Malling, Kent, ME19 5SH
To make a general employment enquiry or apply for Environment Agency jobs visit the Environment Agency recruitment website.
Environment Agency Jobs Disclaimer And Feedback
These links are regularly checked but if you find any are broken or out of date please let us know. This is a page under development and more links will be published over the coming weeks. Feel free to submit information for free inclusion. Please see our disclaimer.